The origins of the hockey club go back to Thames Valley Grammar School, Fifth Cross Road, Twickenham. (founded 1928)
Hockey was played by both boys and girls at the school and, as the early intake of pupils started to leave the school, Old Boys & Old Girls teams were formed but run as separate clubs.
TVHC stems from the Old Boys side which was formed in 1936 and called 'Old Thamesians Hockey Club'. Home matches were played at the school with the players adjourning to a local pub after the game for refreshments. The founders of the club chose to use the school colours of maroon and green as the club colours.
Hockey ceased at the outbreak off war in 1939 but restarted in 1946 as players returned from the forces.
An Old Thamesians mixed hockey team was frequently fielded on Sundays using players from the two old scholars clubs until the mid 1960's when the Old Thamesians (Ladies) Hockey Club folded.
With the closure of grammar schools in Twickenham and the last pupils leaving the school in 1977, the club decided to change its name to Thames Valley Hockey Club in 1979.
Prior to the change of name other changes had occurred - always in search of better facilities the club has moved on three occasions. In 1958 it moved from the school to Carlisle Park, Hampton but again had to rely on a local pub for the post match refreshments and the council for pitch preparation. In 1973 the move was to Osterley where, for three seasons, the club was the tenant of the Old Creightonians Hockey Club, sharing club house and pitches. In 1976 the move was made to Egham as tenants of Egham Cricket Club.
Following the move to Egham, mixed hockey commenced again in the 1976/77 season with a full ladies fixture list making an appearance for the 1978/79 season.
At the start of the 2006/7 season we moved to Chertsey Cricket Club and entered into an agreement with Salesian School as a partner in their new Astroturf pitch. Now, in the 2010/2011 season we are still extremely pleased with both of these moves. The pitch is excellent and having a pleasant club house only 1.5 miles from the pitch makes teas after games very straightforward (and also drinks after training).
At the AGM of 2013 we voted to change the name of the club by adding the word Chertsey; partly as this is where we are now based, but also to help people find us in web seaches.
Many thanks to Bernard Hancke for providing the above information
Copyright Chertsey Thames Valley Hockey Club